Sunday, October 2, 2011

DOMAIN NAME SCAM

I received a letter in the mail today from the Domain Registry of Canada,  advising me that my registration for familytreesmaycontainnuts.com will expire in February, 2012.
My domain names are not registered with this company. I use another company. I have no idea how they got my home address.
I did a search right away on this company and came across a good post at Six Pixels of Separation. I suggest you have a look at the post and make any decisions you have on the direct marketing scam for yourself with your own research.
The letter doesn’t say I am registered with Domain Registry of Canada it says this:
You must renew your domain name to retain exclusive rights to it on the Web, (Lori here: yes of course we do), and now is the time to transfer and renew your name from your current Registrar to the Domain Registry of Canada. Failure to renew your domain name by the expiration date may result in a loss of your online identity making it difficult for your customer and friends to located you on the Web. (Me again:well yes it will…but the expiration date is between me and Go Daddy and not this company)
Spread the word people. this company likely has a US version as well. This is a scam from Domain Registry of Canada. Scam, SCAM, can you say SCAM!!!!
And thanks again to Six Pixels of Separation for the information.

No comments: