Sunday, May 30, 2010

THOMAS BRUNEAU AND ADELAIDE LANDRY

My second great grandparents, Thomas Stanislaus Bruneau and Adelaide Landry were married in 1857. In 1860 the St. Boniface church which held so many records for the area, burned to the ground and pretty much all was lost.
Some 27 years later Thomas Bruneau swore out a statement declaring their marriage information likely to establish claim for Scrip payment for Metis of the area.
 http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e001/e000011114.jpg
"I Thomas Bruneau of the Parish of St. Peter, Rat River in the county of Provencher, and Province of Manitoba; farmer; make oath and say, that on or about the twenty fifth day of January A.D. 1867, I was joined in the Holy Hands Bonds (thanks TK) of matrimony with Adelaide Landry; at the Parish of St. Boniface; Red River Settlement, by the Reverend father Beremont; who was then acting as Parish Priest. That subsequently through fire; the records of the said Parish of St. Boniface were destroyed, and no records now to be found to establish my said marriage."
               his
 Thomas X Bruneau
            mark
Sworn before me at                                                                      
Winnipeg in the county Selkirk this 17 day                       
of September a.d.1880                                                                
S. Macdonald

7 comments:

TK said...

Hey, Lori, I'm wondering if that might say "Holy Bonds" rather than "Holy Hands"? I admit that first letter doesn't look much like his other capital B's, but it doesn't look much like the capital H in Holy either, and "Holy Bond of Matrimony" is a fairly common expression. See what you think...

TK said...

BTW, that's kind of an interesting "document," being handwritten on ordinary paper. It caught my attention because my grandparents' marriage record is also just a handwritten statement on plain paper!

Lori E said...

Thanks for the correction. I have updated the post. I accepted this document as it was stamped by the “Office of Dominion Lands Ottawa” received in 1881. I would think this was produced to claim compensation for lands taken.

Whitney said...

Hello!

I am doing some late night geneology-ing and came across your blog post. I think that Adelaide and Thomas were my maternal Grandfathers great grandparents (I think). I just wanted to share :)

Thanks for posting!

Whitney

Lori E said...

Hi Whitney,
Late night genealogy is something I can relate to for sure haha. Sometimes you just can't let go.

Whitney said...

Hahaha, that's fantastic. So, can I ask who are you related to that is related to Adelaide and Thomas? And where in the world did you get this document?! So neat!

I think what I've found is this:
My Grandfather was Jules Pollard - (Jules' Father) Joseph Thomas Theodore Pollard (aka: Ted) - (Ted's Mother) - Sarah Bruneau - (Sarah's parents) Adelaide and Thomas.


Lori E said...

Whitney why don't you send me an email so I can reply directly to you. Just click on the Email Me button on the top left of the blog.
Looking forward to sharing with you.